Bulgaria has just published the first datasets on its open data portal. Currently, about 36 datasets from 26 public agencies have been made available online. The organisations involved were summoned to do so by the Council of Ministers. The Council even has a dedicated team to overcome resistance at the agencies and help them to extract and cleanse the data from the databases. The ambition is to publish another 100 datasets before the end of this year.
Some of the public agencies that contributed to the portal are:
- Geodesy, Cartography and Cadastre (AGCC), part of the Ministry of Regional Development and Public Works,
- the Bulgarian National Metrology Institute,
- the Bulgarian Post,
- the State Agency for Bulgarians Abroad,
- the Executive Environment Agency (EEA), part of the Ministry of Environment and Water,
- the Ministry of Economy,
- the Council of Ministers,
- the Bulgarian National Statistical Institute, and
- the National Revenue Agency, part of the Ministry of Finance.
The Bulgarian open data portal was announced in September 2014. It was originally launched by the Obshtestvo.bg Foundation. The portal is built on the popular open data platform CKAN, available as open source software under the Affero GPL license. The visual theme made by the Bulgarians is available for re-use.